Saturday 14 May 2016

EXHIBITION DAY 

Setting up for the exhibition went relatively smoothly, I had everything where I wanted it; 2 old TVs on stools, all the cardboard pieces hanging from the brick wall on nails, and the spray painted prints on the white walls. I also included 3 installation pieces, 1 traffic cone painted all white, 1 traffic bollard covered with friends' tags and my Satan and Lucifer tags with a light inside the bollard so it lit up, and a tv on the floor playing static with a pair of shoes and bottle of vodka facing it. The idea of the white traffic cone was to glamorise the idea of stopping, the cone looked heavenly and hopefully encouraged viewers to stop and think. The traffic bollard was the idea of people reclaiming a piece of the city and attempting to be immortal through their vandalism, the fact that it was lit up also allowed me to have the room even darker. The TV on the floor has an old story behind it, about 5 years ago I walked past a bridge in Archway which is colloquially known as 'suicide bridge' because of the countless times people have jumped from it and I saw a pair of shoes and an empty bottle of vodka placed neatly by the side of the bridge where someone had contemplated suicide but decided not to. I wanted to recreate this because contemplation is a big part of my exhibition, I wanted to make people question themselves and their ideas. The night of the exhibition was great and a lot of fun, people enjoyed the art a lot and had a good time hanging out, I had a classmate, Ruby, taking photos and Toyé taking videos to document the night without having to be occupied during the night. However one of the TVs playing the Death/Hell video stopped working for some reason about an hour before the end of the exhibition, in my angered state I took the TV upstairs and onto the street where I began hitting it repeatedly with my skateboard. All the viewers came up to see this and I'd like to think of it as a piece of performance art, the mindless vandalism and ignorant attitude was already a theme of my exhibition so I rolled with it. Below is several pictures from the night, however I plan to make a zine out of the pictures so I won't include all of them here, I also have edited the footage and have attempted to capture the vibe of the night rather than just the art.

















No comments:

Post a Comment