Tuesday 3 May 2016

GILBERT+GEORGE AT THE WHITE CUBE

From November 2015 to January 2016 Gilbert & George put on an exhibition at The White Cube, the exhibition was called BANNERS and it featured discarded posters they had made with what they refer to as "appalling" messages. They read phrases such as FUCK THE PLANET, BAN ALL RELIGION and FUCK TEACHERS. These contentious phrases were very inspiring to me and fit in perfectly with the Satanic part of my work. In my sketchbook I jotted down a lot phrases that came to me at various times over around 2 weeks. These phrases read as, for example, ROT IN HELL, SINNING IS WINNING, SATAN IS A FALLEN ANGEL and MORTALITY IS A GIFT FROM GOD. I'm not yet sure how I will incorporate this in to my exhibition, however i would like to spray paint these messages somehow to keep in line with my previous thoughts about tagging and vandalism. Gilbert & Georges exhibition taught me to not hold back in my work, and spread messages that others are too afraid to say because they are controversial or new concepts or ideas that may frighten or cause discomfort in viewers.




the banners at the white cube

No comments:

Post a Comment